Thursday, October 20, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #80: "A Quiet Place"

When I was in my last foster home before college, one of my foster sisters was deaf, so I learned a lot of sign language in order to communicate with her, and I was always fascinated with how well she could read lips. In this movie, we follow a family who must live in silence to avoid murderous creatures who hunt by sound. In a world where even the slightest whisper or word could bring death, the couple, Evelyn and Lee, are determined to protect their children and find a way to fight back against the creatures.

Unlike a lot of movies that start at the beginning, this movie starts after the apocalypse has already begun and everyone knows about the creatures and how they hunt using sound. The nature of the beast is that this movie has a lot of jump scares set off by loud noises. Most of the movie is so quiet because the characters are trying to avoid being killed by the creatures, so when things get loud it automatically unnerving because you know the monsters are going to come following the loud noise and our main characters are going to get hunted.

I wonder how people discovered that the creatures hunt using sound and how enough people were still alive back then for it to get printed in the newspapers. I wonder if some people thought it was "fake news" or some government conspiracy so they refused to do what the papers said, and if that led to more deaths. I wonder what it's like to live in a world where you have to be silent to avoid being killed. This movie gives me a pretty good idea what that's like. It's fast and furious and creepy and crawly, and I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment