Monday, October 31, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #112: "Aenigma (1987)"

I used to love every Lucio Fulci movie I saw. I swear I was obsessed with the guy, because every time I watched one of his movies, I loved it, even if it was one that often got bad reviews, like House by the Cemetery, so I decided that he could do no wrong and he became one of my favorite directors. Actually, for awhile there, I liked every Italian horror movie I saw, so I became a huge fan and I inhaled every Italian horror movie I could find until I watched a string of bad ones in a row and that soured me on the experience. Now I'm back to my pre-fanatical liking level of Italian horror movies, but Fulci is still a favorite of mine. I've never seen this movie of his, though, so let's see how I like it.

In this movie, the spirit of a comatose teen girl possesses the body of a newcomer at her school in order to enact bloody revenge on the lingerie-clad coeds who are responsible for her injuries. In the first few minutes of this movie, a college prank goes horribly wrong, and the mean girls responsible for the prank wind up relatively unscathed while the victim of the prank ends up in a coma, because life isn't fair in horror movies (or in real life) but in horror movies, the filmmakers have a way of restoring the right/fair nature of things by enacting swift vengeance against those responsible. Take that, bitches.

I heard that this movie featured a "death by snails," and I was thinking "wha... huh?" But now that I've seen this movie, I totally understand what they were saying, and all I can say is "eeeeewww." Also why is this the second movie I've watched for this challenge where a comatose person gets revenge on the people who put them there? Also why are there long stretches of time in this movie where nothing is happening so it's boring and I want to fall asleep? There's not enough gore in the world to sustain the long periods of nothing that happen far too often in this movie. It's a shame too, because there are some good moments in the movie, but overall it gets bogged down too much by the boring nothingness. Maybe I should have watched this back when I fawned over Fulci and I liked everything he did, may be I would have enjoyed it more. As is, it just falls flat. Poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment