Tuesday, October 25, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #100: "The Descent: Part 2"

I watched the first Descent movie in theaters with a friend right after it came out, and she and I both loved it. I remember getting into an argument with another fan about the movie, and his snotty attitude left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't watched the movie since then, but I remember it being good and it's a shame to let one douchey fanboy ruin the whole experience for me, so I'm going into this with an open mind and I'll see if I like this movie on its own merits.

In this movie, Sarah is an amnesiac who doesn't remember anything about the nightmare spelunking trip that resulted in the deaths of her friends. As the inky survivor found, the police and rescuers turn to Sarah to help guide them to the rest of the women, so she is forced to return to the caves that housed the cannibalistic creatures from the first movie. Will Sarah make it out alive this time around, or will she find herself at the mercy of the monsters she escaped during the first movie?

I don't know what it is about mortal peril that brings out the worst in people, but this movie definitely shows that. I'm getting ahead of myself though. First let me say that the gore in this movie is pretty awesome. The monsters from the first movie that loved to chow down on human flesh are up to their old tricks again, and they have a new cast of characters to snack on in this movie. There's a search party looking for the women who went missing in the first movie, when suddenly they come upon a bedraggled Sarah, who has survived the events of the first movie but doesn't remember anything. The cops are desperate for clues, though, so they force Sarah to join the search party and head back into the caves, which puts her on a collision course with the monsters from the first movie.

I wonder why they call creatures "cannibalistic" when they eat human flesh? That's these guys though, and they have zero chill when they're hungry, eating up half the cast before the movie is half over. That's when we get to see a huge example of mortal peril bringing out the worst in people. One of the cops is determined to find the women from the first movie, and he doesn't care who he has to sacrifice in order to do it (which never ends well). The creatures aren't the only ones to fear underground (or even above ground in this movie). I must admit, I don't totally understand what happened at the end of this movie, but suffice it to say that the good guys don't always win, and by the end of this movie there weren't really any good guys left. This is a decent little creature feature, and it's a worthy successor to the original (no matter what douchey fanboys say) so I'm glad I checked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment