Thursday, October 27, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #105: "A Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy's Revenge"

Since I watched "Scream, Queen: My Nightmare on Elm Street" earlier in this challenge, I was in the mood to watch "A Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy's Revenge," so I decided to give it a watch tonight. I haven't watched this one since the day I watched it when I was in jail, so it's been about a year, and in that time I've gained a new appreciation for this movie, so it will be interesting watching this with my new perspective. I started counting all the overtly "gay" references in the movie, so that will be interesting to note. Let's do this thing!

In this movie, Jesse Walsh (Mark Patton) moves with his family into the home of the lone survivor from a series of attacks by dream-stalking monster Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund). There, Jesse is bedeviled by nightmares and inexplicably violent impulses. It turns out Freddy needs a host body to carry out his gruesome vendetta against the youth of Springwood, Ohio. While Freddy gains influence, Jesse and his girlfriend, Lisa (Kim Myers), race against the clock trying to figure out what's going on and if they can stop it before it's too late.

Overtly Gay References In this Movie

Jesse's friend said the coach is into gay S and M clubs and pretty boys like Jesse.

Phallic snake around jesse's neck

Gay dance in room, closing drawer with ass

Scene in gay S and M club

Coach looking gay and telling Jesse to hit the shower

Room full of falling balls

Tying coach up naked and whipping his ass with towels

Freddy is this thing inside him that he's afraid to tell anyone about that he is scared will come out of him

Leaves make out session with girlfriend to go to his boy friend's house (who says "she's in the cabana waiting for you and you wanna sleep with me!")

He's inside me and he wants to take me again

The "blow job" scene with Freddy's glove

I might be stretching it with some of these, but I think they fit, at least to me. Of course overtly gay scenes aren't the only things this movie has to offer, there are some cool scenes to be had here.

It's cool how they find Nancy's diary in Jesse's closet, I forgot about that part, but it adds some pathos to the movie. I also forgot how much stuff catches on fire, like the pet birds and the toaster. Freddy died by fire so it makes sense that he can harness fire to make himself appear. And the scene where Freddy tries to make Jesse kill his little sister is a nice nod to how Freddy was a child murderer, so he's up to his old tricks there. Also the scene where Freddy bursts out of Jesse's skin to kill his friend is really cool. If Freddy Kruger is coming after you, don't throw a curtain at him, it won't help. Get it together, Lisa. You're gonna have to do better than that if you're gonna fight Freddy Kruger. "You are all my children now" is still an awesome line. Lisa is pretty badass going to that boiler room to get Freddy after the scene at the pool. All in all this movie definitely isn't the worst movie in the series like I used to say it is, and I like it more every time I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment