Thursday, October 20, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #82: "Orphan: First Kill"

I saw the first Orphan movie in theaters when it came out. It's one of my favorite movies and I was so impressed with the climax of the film in particular and how it set up this perfect storm with how it brought its cast together at the end to fight this evil they don't really understand. I was excited when I heard that they were working on a sequel, but a little worried that they wouldn't be able to make it as good as the original. I'm finally checking it out today, so we'll see what I think of it.

In this movie, Esther escapes from a psychiatric facility in Estonia, and travels to America posing as the missing daughter of a wealthy family. A twist puts her against a mother who will stop at nothing to protect her family. Uh oh, Esther's in trouble now. I've heard a lot about the twist in this movie, how it's absolutely bonkers, so I can't wait to see what the filmmakers came up with.

I don't know about this Esther in this movie, but she takes far longer to get going and be her regular menacing self. Maybe this is the kinder, gentler Esther, who wasn't as murderous until the events of this movie happened and changed her. Maybe she had some kind of restraint now that's missing from her later self, or maybe she just has a lot less to lose after the events of this movie.

The twist happens fairly early on in this movie, and it is bonkers. The funny thing is there'san episode of Law andOrder: SVU that has a similar plot to the first Orphan movie, and there's another episode of SVU with a plot similar to this one. Good to know the SVU writers and the writers of the Orphan movies have so much in common. I wasn't expecting THIS from the twist, and I gotta say, it's worse than I thought because it's really triggering for me seeing this twist play out because it's too similar to something that could have happened to me when I was a kid, so I had a hard time watching this movie, but it was great watching Esther come into her murderous self onscreen, so for that alone I am glad I watched this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment