Saturday, October 15, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #64: "Mother!"

I've heard a lot about this movie before I ever saw it. Apparently a lot of people really hated it. Reviewers talked about how people were leaving the theater during this movie, and how some of them were finding each other and connecting with the people who were leaving too, hi-fiving and walking out together. It made me laugh reading those stories, and it gave me an idea of what the movie was going to be like. I had a preconceived idea of what this movie was going to be like long before I ever saw it, as I said, and I didn't really want to see this movie because of what I thought it would be, but I couldn't put it off anymore, so I finally watched it tonight. What did I end up thinking about it?

I couldn't decide at first what I was going to say in this "plot summary" section, if I was going to lie and pretend this movie has a normal plot, like I real movie would have, or if I would tell you "nice try, figure it out yourself suckers!" or something like that, but I've decided not to spoil the movie for you by being a smartass, so I'm just gonna give you a little idea of what you'll see here, and you can figure out the rest. So, this movie is about a woman who renovates an old farmhouse where she lives with her poet husband. One day, her husband invites a man over to stay the night, and before long, he has invited his family, and then things get out of hand, and his wife can't figure out why he is so accommodating to everyone but her. That's what it's about, so long suckers!

Jennifer Lawrence is beautiful in this movie. SERIOUSLY, she's so naturally gorgeous that it's distracting. There's not much else I can say about this movie without giving too much away, but there's some good gore here, though it's hard to enjoy it with the plot getting in the way. I have to say that I was right in what I thought the twist was, but it was much more complex getting to that point than I thought it would be, and yeah, the movie is pretty preachy, but I can't say I disagree with it. I know it sounds like I'm being a twat, but there really isn't much I can say, you just kind of have to see the movie for yourself, and then you might be one of those people who hate it, there's a lot of those, or you might like it, like I did, and that was really unexpected because I thought I was going to hate this movie, so miracles can happen. I can't really recommend this movie because so many people hated it, but if you're curious, you might as well just watch it and get it over with. Who knows, maybe you'll even like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment