Saturday, October 15, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #63: "Dressed to Kill (1980)"

This is one of those classic horror thrillers that I've managed to avoid seeing over the years. Brian DePalma directed it, so it's bound to be twisty and turny and somewhat over-the-top. I've seen several other DePalma films and I think "Sisters" is my favorite (talk about twisty and turny) so let's see how this one stacks up against that.

In this movie, a prostitute named Liz witnessed a mysterious woman brutally murder a housewife named Kate (played by Angue Dickenson) and she soon finds herself in a deadly situation. The police think Liz is the killer but they can't prove it, meanwhile the real killer wants nothing more than to silence Liz because she's the only witness to the brutal crime. Kate's son Peter is the only one who really believes Liz when she says she didn't murder Kate. Eventually, Liz and Peter have to team up to find the real killer, who has a surprising way to hide her identity and a shocking motive for the killing.

It took me two watches and a trip to the movie's Wikipedia page to finally get through this movie. It's so dreamlike that it kept lulling me to sleep every time I tried to watch it. It has the atmosphere of a nightmare, and I really should have figured out the twist, but I was focused on other things so I didn't get the twist until it's revealed in the movie. It's a big twist, though, and I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just say that as an obvious homage to Hitchcock's "Psycho" the movie succeeds as a thriller and manages to be mind-bending and twisty-turny fun. It's a little offensive in its handling of some subjects, but I think that's largely because of the time it was released. It's definitely worth checking out for DePalma fans and fans of horror/thriller movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment