Monday, October 17, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #71: "They Look Like People"

I watched this movie a few years ago, and it blew me away, and I was pissed off after the last movie I watched and I wanted to watch one that I knew was good, so I picked this movie, even though I knew it was going to be a head trip because it's very much a psychological horror film, and I don't know if I can write a review that does it justice, but I want to try. No pressure or anything.

So this movie is about two friends, Christian and Wyatt, who have been friends since their youth but haven'tseeneach other for years. One night, Wyatt shows up in town unexpectedly, and Christian asks him to stay, Wyatt reveals that his relationship has imploded and he is now alone. He considers Christian to be his only friend. Soon we learn that Wyatt believes that the earth is being taken over by creatures that look like people but are anything but human. Is Wyatt suffering from severe mental illness or are creatures really taking over the earth? Should Wyatt save himself or should he protect his only friend?

This film is unique in its layered portrayal of mental illness. It's rare for a movie to be this nuanced and show the humanity of a character suffering from mental illness, instead of going for cheap thrills. We really see the humanity behind Wyatt and Christian both, and I got to love both characters and root for them to make it even as the events of the film descend into madness. The demonic transformation shown here is bare-bones and harrowing in its simplicity, and it probably scared me more for being so scaled-back. This movie doesn't have to resort to special effects or a big show from industrial light and magic to scare you, it can send chills down your spine simply by having an actor smile at the camera. This movie excels at this kind of quiet horror, and it's one of the most terrifying films I've seen in years simply because of that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment