Thursday, October 6, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #23: "Paranormal Activity (2006)"

It's hard to remember sometimes, but this movie came out before the big "Found Footage" boom and it was really the start of all the hoopla. For awhile there it seemed like every other horror flick used the Found Footage concept until the market got over-saturated and the movie's stopped making money because everyone was sick of the Found Footage theme. Back when this movie came out though, the idea was still somewhat fresh, and this movie really scared the crap out of audiences (I know, because it scared the crap out of me too). I haven't revisited this movie since I first saw it, so I decided it was time to give it a watch again and see how it holds up.

A young middle-class couple move into a nice house, but they soon find their sleep disturbed by some kind of unknown presence. They don't know if it's a ghost or a demon or what at first, they just know that it's creepy and it seems to be most active at night when they're trying to sleep. Soon after they get a camera to try and figure out what's going on, the disturbances get worse, and they find themselves in a fight for their very souls.

It's been so long since I first saw this movie that I forgot how aggressive Micah (the boyfriend in the couple) is towards the entity. He yells at it and swears at it, and it's kind of unsurprising that the demon gets pissed off at him. I also love how they consult a psychic to try and help them out, but when things get worse the psychic is like "um, I can't help you" and he runs away instead of staying to help them and getting killed which is what usually happens in horror movies like this. This movie holds up pretty well and it was still entertaining even after all these years, so I was glad I gave it a re-watch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment