Thursday, October 13, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #57: "Death Becomes Her"

This is another movie that I've meant to see hundreds of times over the years, but I never got around to it. it came out in 1992 when I was eleven and even then I could tell that I was going to like it (or so I thought) because it seemed like the perfect mix of horror and comedy and it had Goldie Hawn in it who I loved from her other movies, but my mom wouldn't let me see it because of the aforementioned horror connotation that it has, so years went by and I just never got around to watching it, but that ends today! Here we go!

This movie is about a novelist who loses her fiance to a movie star who is supposed to be her friend. The shock of losing the love of her life sends her over the edge and she winds up in a psychiatric hospital, still obsessing over the couple all these years later. After having a breakthrough one day in therapy, she comes back years later to confront the now married couple and she looks STUNNING. Wanting to have the secret of eternal youth for herself, her former friend seeks out advice from another woman who seems to never age, only to discover that her beauty secret is a drug that guarantees eternal youth but at a horrible price.

Goldie Hawn plays Helen Sharp the author, Meryl Streep plays Madeline Albright, the beautiful actress who stole her friend's man, and Bruce Willis plays Dr. Ernest Menville, a plastic surgeon who was eengaged to Helen before dumping her for Madeline. With such an all-star cast the movie was bound to be good. The story is pretty funny too. It's like one of those old Tales from the Crypt stories in E.C. Comics: woman takes potion that promises eternal youth only to find out that it prevents her from dying, no matter how horribly disfigured her body gets. The actors play well against each other and the story is a lot of fun. There's a reason why this movie is a cult classic. I'm glad I finally checked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment