Wednesday, October 26, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #104: "Men (2022)"

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what this movie is even about. When it came out, people were arguing about it in Twitter, and I had to run away screaming in order to avoid spoilers, but I caught some of the bickering secondhand, and caught a few comments about this movie being "feminist" and "woke," though I ran away before I could catch whether people were saying it was a GOOD thing or a BAD thing that the movie was "woke" and "feminist," so I don't know how to take those comments. I guess we'll find out when I watch the movie, now won't I? Here goes nothing.

Let's see if I can write a description of what happens in this movie without giving too much away, shall we? So in this movie, recently divorced woman Harper retreats to the countryside in the wake of tragic events that threaten to change her life forever. Unfortunately, her unease grows at the town's leering and eerily similar men. Right old descendants from the planet caveman, they are. It seems that Harper's arrival in the villiage has awakened something primal, something evil, and something possibly deadly. Will Harper be able to keep her waits about her and survive?

One of the posters for this movie says that "what haunts you will find you," and if that's not cryptic I don't know what is, but I suppose it's true enough. This movie is absolutely beautiful with lush landscapes that make me want to move there immediately, though I'm sure once scary things start happening I'll change my mind. As you can see from the movie posters above, the movie is gorgeous, a real feast for the eyes. I don't think I've seen a movie as beautiful as this one since "Midsommar." People said that movie had feminist undertones as well. Lord save me from beautiful feminist horror.

I don't know whether I'd call this movie "Feminist," but the men in this movie are very annoying. They seem to wander around being creepy and argumentative. It doesn't help that the main character, Harper, isn't the most reliable narrator in the world. I don't know if I trust a single thing she sees, which makes watching the movie a very frustrating experience because I'm not sure if anything's real or not. I think I knew before the movie was halfway over with that this movie would turn out like this. There seems to be a faction of filmmakers that think the less sense a movie makes, the better it is. The problem is, very few filmmakers can churn out one of these arthouse movies and make it still be likeable. "Mother!" managed it. And "Midsommar" left some confusing questions in the end, but at least it felt like it took place on earth. I don't know what planet "Men" is from, but it's not a place I ever want to visit. I don't know what I was hoping for, but it wasn't this. What a letdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment