Friday, October 21, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #87: "Halloween III: Season of the Witch"

I remember the first time I reviewed this movie. I had just watched it for the first time and I was PISSED so I started writing my negative review, and I gave a synopsis of the movie, and the more I described it, the more I realized I had fun with it, so by the time I was done writing my review was positive and I realized I liked the movie. I think it helps if you put yourself in your ten year old self's shoes and watch the movie like you're a kid again. At least I know that's what worked for me. Ten year old me would have loved this movie.

In this sequel, except for a brief shot from the original "Halloween" on tv early in the movie, don't expect to see Michael Myers, because this movie has a whole mother kind of evil on its mind. An emerdoctor named Dan and the daughter of a murder victim, named Ellie, uncover a diabolical plot by a small-town mask factory worker named Conal to commit ritual murder on Halloween using an ancient Celtic ritual. The ritual is a complicated plot involving a boulder stolen from stonehenge, the use of Silver Shamrock Halloween masks, and a triggering device contained in a television commercial, all of which will combine to kill millions of children on Halloween night.

Nifty plan, huh? Yes, the plot of this movie is silly, but there's something to be said for the evil mask maker guy who wants nothing more than to kill a bunch of kids on Halloween night just for funsies. It's the kind of uncomplicated plot that I would have loved when I was ten and less concerned with plot holes and logic and all the other things that conspire to ruin our fun enjoyment of low-budget horror flicks. I like how the bad guy in this movie gives his speeches about why he's doing what he's doing but he doesn't give any details or try to over explain the logistics of how he's doing what he's doing, it's just "a magician never reveals his secrets" and "we had a heck of a time bringing that here, you wouldn't believe how we did it!" I see you, smartass movie. I think I'll have that Silver Shamrock jingle stuck in my head for the rest of eternity now that I watched this movie again. 🎶Hurry up with Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, hurry up with Halloween, silver shamrock!🎶 I also love the bad guy's spooky monologue about Samhain and why he has to sacrifice all the children during the ritual on Halloween night. creepy! This movie isn't for everyone, but it's better than it gets credit for, and it would be a great movie to use to introduce the kiddos to this horror loving hobby of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment