Monday, October 31, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #118: "The Sadness (2021)"

When this movie came out, it caused quite a stir. First of all, there's the graphic violence and gore people keep saying is in this movie. Now I watch a lot of horror, and some of it is very graphic and sadistic, but I found that out myself by watching it. When people start warning me about the gore and violence in a particular movie, I start to get worried about how graphic it got before they felt the need to issue a warning. The second thing people commented on for this movie was that it was heartwrenching and depressing. I have to be careful with that, too, because my depression can be triggered if a movie is too bleak and depressing. So basically what I'm saying is that this movie is dangerous and I have no idea how it will effect me! Let's roll!

In this movie, as Taiwan succumbs to a viral pandemic that transforms peaceful citizens into sadistic, bloodthirsty maniacs, a young couple must battle to be reunited before they too become infected. That's the description of this movie, and it doesn't sound too shocking, just because I've seen similar things happen in movies before, like 28 Days Later, so I'm wondering what it is about this movie that goes so far that people felt the need to issue strong warnings about this movie before I even watched it.

When they say bloodthirsty, boy they mean bloodthirsty. People in this movie who catch the virus turn into bloodthirsty maniacs, and they just start stabbing and gutting and biting people and licking up their blood and it's really gross and icky and sticky. The gore in the movie is well done too, the bites look real and they're just taking chunks out of people's ankles and necks and faces. One guy grabs an axe and starts using it and the camera cut away and I'm just like WHY?! It's already disturbing as hell, cutting away now won't help!

I don't know why this movie is called The Sadness. Yes, it's sad that all these people are doing all these horrible things to other people, but the people who catch this sickness seem very happy indeed to be doing all these depraved things, and when they pass it onto othere people those people become happy too while they're sawing away at other people and eating their skin. There's one really rapey guy who just seems impossible to kill. Oh wait, never mind, he just died finally. This movie is messed up. Oh hey, we've reached the part where a doctor or scientist explains what's going on with the virus. Oh hey, this doctor guy is messed up. Damn, everyone's infected (except for one person, and that person better make tracks before they get dead). Oh here we go, that's messed up. And now it's over. I still think The Sadness is a weird name for this movie. The Plague would be better and more accurate, but perhaps not as likely to get people talking, so that's probably at least one of the reasons why they named it The Sadness. Well that was a good little movie, and it didn't poke my depression too badly, either. Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment