Friday, October 28, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #107: "Arachnophobia"

Check out that tagline! Eight legs, two fangs, and an attitude is right. This movie is not for the faint of heart who are afraid of spiders. I've seen this movie before years ago, but since I'm genuinely terrified of spiders it freaked me out royally. It's cheesy and very 90s (which is nostalgic for me since I was a teenager in the 90s). I haven't seen the movie since I originally saw it years ago, so I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping for some creepy crawly spooky fun. This is one of those family friendly horror flicks that would be fun to watch with kids to help introduce them to this horror loving hobby of ours. Let's see what I think of this one.

In this movie, a nature photographer played by Mark L. Taylor dies while on assignment in Venezuela and an exotic poisonous spider hitches a ride in his coffin to his hometown in rural California, where a new doctor has recently moved into town. Aracnophobe doctor Ross Jennings, played by Jeff Daniels, has just moved in with his wife Molly, played by Harley Jane Kozac, and their two young kids. As the town's residents start turning up dead, Jennings begins to suspect spiders, and he must learn to face his fears as he and a no-nonsense exterminator, played by John Goodman, fight to stop a deadly spider infestation. Way to move to spiderville USA, you dipwit.

There are plenty of shots of creepy-crawly spiders in this movie that sent chills down my spine. There's a shower scene with a spider that's pretty terrifying, and one scene where a spider crawls out of a dead guy's nostril that's pretty gruesome. I've gotta tell you, if spiders were swarming my bathroom, I'd want to run, not hit them with a towel while yelling at them. That never leads to anything good (and in this case, it almost leads to death, you idiot) so I would be much more cautious than the geniuses in this movie. I mean, they know at this point that deadly spiders are attacking, so it's not like we can use the excuse that they didn't know. The big scary scene that is the tour de force of the movie takes place in a cellar, and there's enough foreshadowing that we know it's about to happen, so it's effectively terrifying, especially if you're afraid of spiders. If spiders freak you out, this movie might be for you, I for one liked it, cheesy 90s themes and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment