Wednesday, October 30, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #91: "The Sand (AKA Blood Sand, 2015)"




I remember seeing a skeezy VHS movie cover in video stores back in the day with a beach apparently eating a bikini clad woman. That movie was called "Blood Beach," and it's hard to find of late, but I still kinda want to see it. Come one, a beach that eats people? How awesome is that? People make fun of me because five year old me thought "The Hills Have Eyes" was about hills that ate people, but there's a movie about a beach that eats people? Dude.


This movie is about a group of 20-somethings on Spring Break who have a wild night of partying on the beach, then wake up hungover to something weird happening. Their friends have disappeared, leaving behind bloody sleeping bags. Soon it becomes clear that the sand on the beach is eating people alive (that totally sucks).


The plot of this movie kind of reminds me of the Stephen King short story "The Raft" which was adapted into a short film as part of the anthology horror movie "Creepshow 2." In that story, it was a mysterious dark spot on the water that sucked people in and ate them, so not exactly the same, but there are a lot of similarities.Trapped by some mysterious force that sucks them down and devours them, horny young adults stranded, trying to stay alive. The creature is similar too in that it feeds on their weaknesses. A small bit of skin touches the sand and that's all it takes for the thing to suck you in.


There's some really cool gore here. One guy whose stomach barely touches the sand has a nasty, gruesome reaction. I also wound up liking the characters too. At first they're all hungover idiots fighting and starting drama with each other and I wanted to stab them, but they do a good job pulling together when it really matters. I'll be honest, I expected this movie to really suck, I was just looking for something to pass the time and not use too much brain power, but I ended up enjoying this movie a lot. It's tense and icky and a lot better than I thought it would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment