Monday, October 21, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #60: "Cinematic Titanic: War of the Insects"




Much like snakes, insects really creep me out. Creepy crawlies are icky to me, so in general, if a movie has a bunch of insects killing people, I'll be scared by the movie enough to make it worth watching. Unfortunately, this movie is really terrible,  and it's lucky I had snide commentary going on or I might have been bored to death.

The movie is about what happens when all the insects on earth start attacking humans. A mad scientist (this time it's a woman! That's right, women can be mad doctors too! Score one for women's lib) in Japan does experiments on insects, crossbreeding and giving them extra powerful venom, hoping to seek them to the army as weapons of war. She doesn't really care about the war, though, and she's kind of rooting for the insects to kill everyone on earth. Did I mention she's crazy?

I definitely make the movie sound more interesting than it is. I guess that's just because the story isn't bad, it's the execution that sucks here. I mean, for a movie about insects taking over the world, it takes for-fucking-ever for us to see swarms of insects killing everyone. There really aren't enough insects in the movie in general. I guess they didn't have a big enough budget. But the mad doctor, Annabelle, is crazy and cool. She's a great character. I just wish this were a better movie to showcase her character. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I kinda wish someone would remake this movie, since it's got a lot of potential. Sigh. As for the commentary, it's fun as always.  Some highlights:

"Genocide was his sled!"

"Ashes to asshole, dust to douche."

"Tonight on 60 minutes, crazy shit about insects we thought you never knew. Plus Andy Rooney!"


No comments:

Post a Comment