Monday, October 21, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #64: "Blood of the Vampires"



I've heard of this movie before, but under one of its other titles, "Curse of the Vampires." It's one of those movies that goes more for style over substance, so a lot of the shots look beautiful and artistic, as a movie it seems hokey and choppy. I didn't know that before I watched it, of course, I only knew about the pictures I'd seen, which showed gorgeously staged scenes, so I was excited to check out the movie.

A brother and sister learn that their family carries a curse: their mother is a vampire, and the rest of the family is doomed to follow in her footsteps. Soon everyone in their surrounding town is either dead or has been turned into a vampire. Can the curse ge stopped or is it too late?

If you thought your family was bad, this movie might make you feel better about them. It kind of sucks, because a lot of the people who wind up dying (pretty much everyone in the movie) aren't bad people, they just got caught up in the family's melodrama. The young sister just wants to marry her boyfriend, but her father forbids it (look asshole, just because you're eternally unhappy doesn't mean everyone else deserves to be).

The father is a jerk and the mother is an evil vampire by the time we meet her, and the older brother is kind of a jerk too, but I actually liked the sister and her boyfriend. Stupid vampires, ruining everything.  So in the end, the movie is more of a family melodrama and a sappy, tragic love story than a vampire movie. The family aren't cursed, they're just too stupid not to keep repeating the same mistakes. The movie is often more silly than scary, but it's got some beautiful scenes, so I have to say I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment