Wednesday, October 16, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #46: "The Beast of Yucca Flats"


This is going to be another example of the movie poster being cooler than the movie itself, I can feel it. Movie posters in the 60s were so awesome. There's always some woman dressed scantily screaming and cowering in terror from some kind of monster.

It's especially funny because in this movie, there is no real monster, the "beast" is just the actor Tor Johnson playing a big, lumbering guy who stumbles around in the night killing people. I love the early scene where the two teenagers are in a car making out and the boy goes to investigate a strange noise and winds up getting killed. Hasn't he ever heard the million urban legends where this happens? Dude, if you're out necking and you hear something weird, stay in the car and drive away! Do not get out of the car! What were you hoping to accomplish by getting out of the car anyway? Finding a wild animal and getting bit, then go back to making out? People are idiots.

Thos movie drags way more than it should for being so short. I think it's because the filmmakers pad the running time with pointless scenes of the surrounding desert (we get it, the place is secluded, you don't have to show us this again every five minutes). Plus like I said there's no beast, just a big mean guy lurking in the area killing people who disturb him. The older I get, the more I picture doing this myself some day. Stupid people,  always bothering me. So yeah, I don't really recommend this movie. It's more tedious than anything. Watch something better instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment