Wednesday, October 2, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #5: "Death at Love House"





How have I never heard of this movie before? I like Robert Wagner and John Carradine, and the story of old Hollywood and its stars is something I remember hearing my mom talk about. According to this movie, Lorna Love was a big Hollywood starlet back when stars like that were shrouded in glitz and glamour and treated like royalty. I can imagine people being star struck about her story and wanting to see the place where she died. Especially if they have a personal connection to the story. The plot of this movie definitely had me hooked right from the beginning.

This movie is about an author and his wife who are going to write a book about this famous starlet Lorna Love, and the tale if her tragic death. The author's father was in love with Lorna when she died, and they want to exploit that connection to tell a good story. Boy meets girl, boy is obsessed with girl, boy loses girl, he never gets over it. That kind of thing. Personally, I wouldn't want to move my pregnant wife to a creepy old house haunted by the memories and possibly the ghosts of such a past, but if people had common sense,  we wouldn't have this movie.

The main characters aren't necessarily unlikable. They're taking advantage of a family connection to someone famous in order to make a buck, but I get that they have to make a living. John Carradine plays an older gentleman who was also obsessed with Lorna Love. He seems angry and bitter about how she used him to get famous. There's also a housekeeper who seems angry about the new residents of the house and the book they're planning to write. Definitely not a situation I'd want to put up with, even if I could make money writing a book about it.

Since this is a made for TV movie there's not much gore, mostly a dreamlike atmosphere with old-timey music and long walks up and down the hallways of the house and the surrounding grounds. Plus interviews with people who knew Lorna Love and hated her. I really don't get why they needed to live in the house to get their story. It seems like even the plot of the movie could have worked if they lived somewhere else and just visited the house a lot. I suppose I'm biased, since there9no way I'd be moving into a creepy old house like that if I didn't have to. Overall the movie is ok. A lot of people might find it boring if they don't get caught up in the atmosphere, but it's not too long, so it doesn't have a chance to drag too much, and there's enough creepiness to hold my interest. I probably would have liked it better when I was younger and desperate to watch anything horror related.

No comments:

Post a Comment