Sunday, October 6, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #22: "The Horrible Secret of Dr. Hichcock"



I'm going out on a limb with this movie. I mean, not a BIG limb or anything, because Barbara Steele is in this movie,  and she's a legendary actress known for starring in horror classics, so there's a good chance this movie will be good. I have to get back out there sometime and trust movies I haven't seen at some point, plus there are only so many Hatcget movies around for me to watch. Let's hope this movie is as good as it sounds.

This movie has an inordinately long title. It's one step away from "Night of the Dawn of the Day of the Horrible Evil Doctor of 5he House on Haunted Hichcock." And who spells it that way, while I'm at it? I'm constantly battling with autocorrect that wants to change it to "Hitchcock." Anyway, the movie that shall not be named is about a woman who marries a strange, creepy doctor who is obsessed with dead people. She's really beautiful too, so she must have a thing for weirdos not to pick someone better. He's seriously a jerk. I wanted to punch him.

So the mad doctor has been through some unspeakable tragedy in his life, and he's obsessed with his last wife, who died. That's sad and all, but Barbara Steele deserves better than being married to a creepy jerk who does something weird that involves dead people. It's not really clear what's going on, but there are rooms in the house that he keeps locked and he tells his wife where she's allowed to go in the old mansion. That would piss me off, but she seems content to flounce around the mansion wearing glowing gowns and freaking out at strange noises. It's all very gothic, but I wish there were more of a story here. Ones everything starts going to hell, it's hard to care much because we never got to know these characters. I think I prefer Barbara Steele when she's being evil and imposing rather that the wallflower we meet in this movie who is content to let her husband treat her like crap. Overall there's a lot more style than substance in this movie,  and that's disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment