Sunday, October 6, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #20: "Hatchet II"





I'm already getting cranky and it's only been a few days into the challenge. I haven't watched a really terrible movie yet (at least one that wasn't fun to mock) so I'm paranoid about watching any movie and finding out that it sucks and I can't stop watching it, so I have to endure to the end. Luckily,  I enjoyed the first Hatchet movie enough for me to trust that the sequels will be worth checking out. Score!

This movie picks up right where the first movie let's off, like right the very second, and we're back in the movie's universe, trying to survive a sadistic, deformed killer. There's a bunch of nudutynand gore in the first ten minutes already, but there's also some hints that the story of deformed killer Victor Crowley might go deeper than we suspected, and that he might have more of a connection to some of his victims than we knew. I like it that this movie promises some great messy gore and some fun nudity, but also some, you know, plot and character development and stuff.

I love Danielle Harris. She's a good actress and she imbues the movie's she's in with some class, which is always appreciated. I love Tony Todd, too, and I'm glad he has a bigger role in this movie this time around (though I'm suspicious of his character's motives). I also like the focus on the revenge plot this time around. People are getting pissed that Crowley keeps massacering folks, and they're going to finally do something about it.

Of course, it never occurs to them that they might not be the only ones looking for revenge. Seriously,  why do people in these movies assume so much shit? It seems like this movie could have been 20 minutes long if everyone sat down and actually talked to each other for a few minutes before running out into the forbidden swamp trying to catch an evil ghost deformed legend murderer. And how fucked up does that idea sound? Who would think that was a good way to earn $500? And why would you have sex in a dark, creepy,  slimy swamp where a killer supposedly lives? These people are idiots. It does make for an entertaining movie, though. S little muddled, but gory fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment