Friday, October 11, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #34: "The Brute Man"



This is a movie I remember watching with my mom when I was very little. I don't remember anything but the creepy face of the titular "Brute Man." I thought it was scary looking back then, before I was old enough to realize how cheesy the effects were. I decided that I should check this movie out again, now that it's floating around on Amazon.

The movie is about a string of murders committed by a man the newspapers dub "the creeper." The murders start after a college has their 10 year reunion, and a teacher and member of the graduating class are among the first victims. No one seems to be able to get a good look at the murderer, but we tdd he audience can see that he has a deformed face.

Now that I'm older, I can better appreciate the plot, and it kind of pisses me off. It all starts because some college roommates have a competitive streak and keep trying to one-up each other, except one of them has a bad temper and loses his temper (and his face) on one fateful day. Yes, the murderer is responsible for his actions, but his roommate was still a jerk and taunted and humiliated his friend, which makes him partly responsible in my book, and he doesn't seem to feel remorse for his actions, which makes him an even bigger jerk. The movie is cheesy and it does drag a bit, but I cared about the main character, the killer, and connected with his story, so the movie kept my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment