Friday, October 18, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #50: "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders"




This movie is from back in the days when there were made for TV movies aimed at kids and families for every season. Christmas movies at Christmas and scary movies for Halloween were my favorites. Hey, lay off me, not many people had cable back then and there was no streaming TV off the internet, so there wasn't as much choice in things to watch. This was one of the spooky flicks that aired around Halloween.

This movie is about a young boy whose grandfather tells him a story of how the wizard Merlin traveled into modern times and ran a store where people could come and buy magical objects and learn about their powers. Of course, with great power comes great responsibility and all that, so the magic can have terrifying consequences.

I wish I could have seen this movie back when I was a kid. I probably would have enjoyed it more back when I was part of the target audience. It's still not as bad as I was worried it would be, though. The story of the critic who finds a magic book and uses it with terrible consequences was cheesy but still a cool idea. And the guy was s jerk, so I had fun watching him get what was coming to him.

The second story is really the star of the show here, though. It's about a cursed little toy monkey (the kind that plays those little cymbals) that has evil in store for whoever uses it. Again,  the story is cheesy, but that little monkey is creepy as hell, so it was easy to believe it was cursed. I would probably have had weird nightmares if I watched it when I was a kid, because those little toy monkeys creeped me out. It was fun watching it as an adult too, though. This movie was often silly, but still a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment