Friday, October 25, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #73: "The Red Shoes"




I'm taking a short break to revisit some Hlloween specials I loved when I was a kid. These stories are part of why I love horror movies to this day. This is more of a "girl learns a lesson from a ghost and from a cursed pair of shoes" than "girl gets decapitated," more like "A Christmas Carol" with ghosts that actually want to help people. Plus it has great music, beautiful chalk-drawing style animation, and the voice of Ossie Davis narrating. What's not to love?

The original story of the red shoes is about a ballerina who becomes obsessed and is tortured by a pair of shoes and a curse. There have been lots of good movies made from this story, but it's not the most kid friendly idea, so this version takes a different path. Two little girls are best friends, in love with the ballet, one girl moves away and the friendship is broken by pride and greed, until some "cursed" shoes and a ghost from the past straighten everyone out and make it right.

I loved this movie when I was a kid. I checked out the VHS from the library (yes, I'm old) and we practically wore out the tape, we watched it so much. I was excited to see Amazon had it for sale, so I bought the digital version, and I watch it every once in awhile. It's a great reminder of the importance of friendship, how greed can turn people into monsters, and why it's important to remember who you are and where you came from, no matter where you end up. Definitely worth watching again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment