Friday, October 11, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #35: "The Black Scorpion (1957)"


I love giant creature feature movies, even if they're terrible. It started when I was a kid and I saw "Food of the Gods," or as I called it "the giant mouse movie," and I was introduced to the idea that our polluted environment could lead to giant creatures running amok. That movie is from the 70s, but I soon watched all the movies I could find in that subgenres, mostly old black-and-white movies, since those were the only horror movies my mom would really let me watch (I don't know how we slipped "Food of the Gods" by her. Maybe it was too silly for her to worry about it warping our brains).

This movie isn't  a great entry into the subgenre, but it's still kind of fun. Some scientists in the desert in Mexico find strange phenomena that they soon learn is due to giant killer scorpions. The creature effects are fun, Ray Harryhausen working his stop-motion magic. It probably helps that I am creeped out by scorpions, so they look freaky to me. I still had fun with this movie, even though it's not the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment