Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vile


I feel like I've seen this movie before, and I have, really.  It's basically the Saw movies all smashed together with the Hostel movies, but I liked all of those movies for the most part, so I don't really mind.  I actually appreciated that an effort was made here to give us some character development so we'd give a shit what happened to these characters when things started going nasty, so that worked for me.  The plot isn't original by now (ten people wake up in a house not knowing how they got there, and they watch a video telling them that they must inflict pain on each other in order to survive the night).  That's right, it's another of the once-popular-but-now-losing-popularity-due-to-overexposure torture movies, but at least the screenwriters of this film gave a reason for the torture that we see onscreen, and like I said, they gave us a chance to get to know the characters, so we actually kind of cared what happened to them.

Of course, as in all movies like this, we get to see people devolve to their basest instincts, which means there's some pretty horrible behavior on display here, particularly from one woman named Tara, and it's horrible having to watch what these people do to each other.  Those who don't want to see people get tortured horribly should probably avoid this movie, since it had me wincing and I've seen a ton of these movies.  It plays with some original ideas, gives us some characters we moight actually like, and has some cool gore, so it was a worthwhile watch for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment