Monday, October 29, 2012

Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue


I'm glad I caught this movie tonight.  I wanted to squeeze in at least one documentary this year, and this is one of the best I've seen in a long time, so I'm glad Netflix suggested it to me.  Here a bunch of recognizable horror directors and filmmakers wax philosophical about the impact of horror movies and the evolution of horror cinema throughout the years, from the silent horror films of the 20s to the present-day new millennial horrors.  I know a lot about horror movies since I'm slightly obsessed with them (in case you couldn't tell from reading this blog) but even I learned some new stuff from this documentary, like how the movie "Gremlins" was originally a spec script shipped around by Chris Columbus hoping to make a name for himself, and the original movie was far more gruesome, but once the filmmakers realized how much money the movie would cost (and therefore how much they'd have to make back in sales) they decided to cut the gore down and make the movie less bleak in order for it to appeal to a wider audience.  "Gremlins" is a movie I really enjoy, so whatever they changed, it seems to have worked out for the best.  This movie is full of fun musings and cool little factoids, so it's worth checking out for film fans in general and horror film fans in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment