Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Caller


I discovered something new about myself tonight.  I always knew that ghost movies tend to scare me, and "found footage" movies tend to scare me because, you know, they look all real and stuff.  Tonight I discovered that time travel movies scare me, too.  Not like, "Back to the Future" or anything, but a movie like "The Butterfly Effect" had me in a funk for days, because throughout my life there have been many things I'd think I'd go back and do differently if I had the chance, and that movie posited the idea that even if we could go back and change one thing, it wouldn't necessarily change everything for the better, because other people still have free will and the ability to screw up their own lives and the lives of others, even with our help.  It gave me a lot to think about.

Tonight I watched this movie, "The Caller," and I find I'm sitting here creeped out by the idea of something from the past, something I thought was over and far away and couldn't hurt me anymore, coming back to haunt and hurt me in the present, and it's not a pretty picture inside my head right now.  Ugh.  I might be doing permanent psychological damage to myself with this challenge.  I blame this movie (and also "Atrocious").

So anyway, this movie is about a woman who moves into a new apartment after a bad divorce and she starts getting phone calls on her landline phone from a woman she doesn't know.  She engages the caller at first, but after finding that this might not be a good idea, she tries to sever ties with the woman, and this ends up having dangerous results.  I really can't say much more without giving away the plot of the movie, but suffice it to say that the ideas in here are pretty creepy (it's only a movie, only a movie, only a movie...) and with the solid acting, dramatic music, and even the camerawork managing to add to the sense of menace and dread, I really enjoyed watching this...until now, when I try to go to sleep, and keep hearing strange noises creeping around every corner...maybe I need to watch movies about puppies and kittens for awhile.  This one was a chilling experience for me.  Definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment