Friday, October 5, 2012

Forget Me Not


I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. The description made it sound like a ghost story or some other supernatural haunting type movie, but once the movie started, it seemed more like a slasher or a typical "dead teenager movie." That's not a dis, I really like slashers as a rule, but this movie winds up being a bit of both, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. There is a lack of nudity, which is disappointing, but it also shows that the filmmakers cared about the story they were telling to an extent, because in all the scenes where they COULD have thrown in a little nudity just to be gratuitous, the fact that they didn't actually fits better with the story they're trying to tell.

For example, at one point, a girl who is kind of known as a slut sleeps with a guy who's one of her friends, but she keeps her bra on the whole time, which is kind of weird, except that her face looks kind of uncomfortable and vulnerable the whole time, and it winds up being for a good reason because it turns out that he was just lying to get her into bed and didn't care about her, and she leaves the room crying after he dismisses her...I've got nothing against gratuitous nudity, but in this case, it DID benefit the story to keep her covered up, and it was kind of cool to see that the filmmakers understood this and actually gave a shit about their plot, because that makes it easier for me to give a shit about the movie.

The plot was actually trying to do something kind of original, too, and I appreciated that. It took me minute to figure out what was going on, and I'll admit that at first, I thought the writers were just being stupid or forgetting their own characters or something, but after a few more minutes, I realized "Oh, THAT'S what's happening, I get it..." I won''t spoil what's going on, but even though this is a "separate the friends and kill them one by one" kind of movie, there's a bit more going on with this one, and it's refreshing to see. The movie isn't perfect, but it's trying harder than a lot of movies of its kind, and its hard work paid off, because I really did care what happened to the characters. The ending is great, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment