Monday, October 19, 2009

The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror XX (wildcard #1) (movie #55)

I haven't watched The Simpsons in years, but Charter has been advertising this episode for weeks now,so I decided to check it out after the dismal crud that was "The Dunwich Horror." This was just what I needed. People say the writing of the show has been suffering lately, but this was pretty funny. Definitely up there with the rest of the Treehouse of Horror episodes I remember watching as a kid.

The opening sequence of this episode was great. The Universal classic monsters make an appearance, and they discover that their getup is outdated, so they buy some costumes and go to a Halloween party at the Simpson house (which is fun until their wives intervene). Good times.

The first segment totally riffs on Hitchcock, so there are a lot of references to classic Hitchcock movies like "Strangers on a Train," "Psycho," and "Vertigo." I enjoyed that (we also get to see a cartoon Hitchcock tumbling off a cliff). The second segment mocks "28 Days Later" and there's a nod to "28 Weeks Later" at the end) and it's pretty hilarious. It's funny to see the residents of Springfield chowing down on each other. The third segment blasts "Sweeny Todd," and because I hated the movie so much, I laughed my ass off (I think I'd probably like the play, but the movie was dismal). In this segment, Moe tries to kill Homer and discovers that adding Homer's blood to his beer makes it more popular (and makes anyone who drinks it delirious, so Marge starts to fall for Moe). This was a lot of fun and just what the doctor ordered last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment