Monday, October 5, 2009

Nightmare (movie #15)

I have a thing for Korean horror movies. More than any other country, the people in Korea seem to know how to freak me out better than anyone else. "A Tale of Two Sisters," "The Red Shoes," "The Ghosts of Mae Nak," and now "Nightmare." As soon as I saw this movie offered as one of my "On Demand"choices, I knew I had to check it out.

People always complain about Asian horror movies. It's always some spurned person who dies and then returns for revenge somehow and we don't find out the reason the ghost is so pissed until the end of the movie. To that I say...and? Your problem is what, exactly? Almost every slasher movie has the same premise, and I love those too. It's a formula that works. No one is forcing you to watch those movies. *shrug* I LIKE seeing a person who has died in some horrible way come back and get revenge on the assholes who killed her/him. It brightens my day, and this movie is no exception.

This movie confused me a little at first, as we jump back into the past without any warning that we're no longer in the present, so it took me a second to figure out that the movie was showing us one character's memories. Usually I pick up on that stuff right away, but it took me a little bit this time. After I figured that out though, I was good for the rest of the movie. I kept screaming at the screen "What did you do?!?!?" as it's clear that this group of people did something horrible to this ghost to piss her off so much, but I had to impatiently wait until the end to find out what it was. It's a doozy though. That scene is horrible to watch (and there's some cool gore in it, too).

The avenging ghost here is effectively creepy, and the characters are skeezy enough that you pretty much want them all to die, so it's just a matter of waiting to see what happens to them. I personally liked this movie and I'm glad I watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment