Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Legend of Hell House (movie #21)

I've wanted to see this movie since I was a kid. I saw a clip of it on a Halloween documentary, but of course my brother and I weren't allowed to watch horror movies, so I never got a chance to see it. When I bought the DVD, I was excited to see if it would be as good as I hoped it would be.

So did it live up to my expectations? Yes and no. The house itself is certainly creepy in this movie, and the oppressive atmosphere is spooky. the acting isn't bad, though the movie is a bit dated (and it's kind of like watching a bunch of stuffy English people sit around and yell at each other all day). The people in the movie are conducting experiments on the titular house to find out if they can combat the evil spirits within and stop the evil. Of course, it's fun watching the ghost possess one person after another and speak in a creepy voice and throw dishes around the room when it gets mad. The people in the house slowly start to degenerate and go madder and madder as the days tick by, and that's fun to watch. I just wish more would happen in the movie. I don't know why my mom was so dead-set against us watching this movie...it's pretty boring for most of its running time. Mostly we get to see this "team" of experts fight and scream at each other, and I can watch my neighbors do that any day, I don't have to pop in a movie to watch it.

Of course, things get better around the time of the finale and we finally get to see the evil spirits in action, so I can't complain about the ending (I just wish the rest of it hadn't been such a chore to sit through). The movie was one I'd wanted to see for years, so I'm glad I finally got a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment