Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hollow Man (movie #42)

Here's the thing. I like this movie, I really do, so I hate to have to dis it, but it does some things that really piss me off.

I like the idea of a modern-day serum to turn someone into the invisible man. I like the update of the classic invisible man story. I like the performances, and I like what Kevin Bacon does with the role and how he turns evil and sinister.

The thing is, I can forgive a few little plot inconsistencies, but the ending of this movie makes me want to stab someone.



DO NOT READ BELOW HERE IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE ENDING OF THE MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU STOP READING HERE THERE BE SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED



Near the end of the movie, the friends find themselves "trapped"in the lab, and they say that there's no way out, and they run around until all of them get killed except the boyfriend and girlfriend. Then the girlfriend has her showdown with Kevin Bacon's invisible man, she electrocutes him, and she and her boyfriend discover that the lab is about to blow up. that's when she says "Let's climb up the elevator shaft," just like that, and they do and they eventually escape. WTF? I thought there was "no way out" and they were trapped? If there was a way out all along, why didn't they take it before all their friends got killed? Did they just not like their friends very much? I don't get it, and that seriously pisses me off enough to sully the experience for me. I still think the movie is good,but that's a glaring misstep from people who should have known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment