Wednesday, October 28, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #94: "Haunt (2019)"

 




This was the #1 movie on Shudder in 2019. It sounds like a fun slasher flick. It's set in one of those "extreme" haunted attractions, where you have to sign a release before going in, and the actors can touch you and drag you around (as long as they don't physically hurt you) so it's a truly imnersive experience that actually feels real. I think I'll pass. Sounds horrific to me. But it might make for a fun movie, especially if the characters take awhile to notice something's wrong because it's in the middle of a horror attraction that's supposed to seem real. Guess we'll see. 

So this movie focuses on a young lady in an abusive relationship who spends Halloween night out with her girlfriends to forget about her boyfriend drama. They meet up with some guys at a club and decide to check out an extreme haunted house guarded at the end of a dark, deserted road, by a creepy, silent clown (there'snot enough "nope" in the world for this scenario). Once they enter, they're forced to decide between two paths and the group splits up (because of course they do) and things start to get more and more terrifying. Soon, they're fighting to survive. Will they be able to escape  the haunt?

Pk, first of all, if I'm driving around at night afraid someone is following me, and I randomly turn down a road and a "Haunted house" sign turns on out of nowhere, I'm not going in there. WTF? Ok, they look it up online and it has a Yelp review, but it's not like some psycho couldn't write a fake review and post it online, so that wouldn't comfort me much, plus I would never agree to leave my phone outside so I can'tcall for help ifsomethinghappens. And the gags freak me out, too, even before anythingserious starts. I can't stand spiders and I'm afraid of tight spaces, so that would all be a huge NO from me, but I guess once they enter the haunt, it's too late.

There's a lot of creepy atmosphere, and once things get serious, it escalates quickly. I give these guys some credit for at least trying to fight back, they don't just wander around and wait to get killed like a lot of characters in movies like this (but they keep splitting up! Dude, stop that! Have you never seen a horror movie before in your life?!) They spend way too much time thinking they can somehow negotiate their way out to safety before they realize the killer that stalks them is not interested in playing fair.

Things get really bloody, too. Death by pitchfork, claw hammer, sledgehammer, etc. It's all very grisly and cool. I have to admit, despite their stupid moves, I did find myself caring about the kids and rooting for them to make it. I liked how the kills were sadistic and mean-spirited, the masks were definitely creepy (and sometimes what was under them was even worse!) Overall, this isn't the most original movie I've ever seen, but it was a fun watch, and a LOT better than I expected it to be. Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment