Thursday, October 1, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #4: "Spirit Animal (2019)"

 



My friend Maddie has been working hard on this movie for years, and I love slaahers and low-budget horror movies,  so I was excited to check it out! The only problem is that after watching the Dingo Pizza trailer on the DVD I want pizza (especially 2 medium 3 topping pizzas for $12.99 with a free 2 liter of pop...if you're reading this, Maddie,  I want my pizza).

The movie is about a campground that seems to be cursed by an evil spirit. It opens with a scene of some kids sitting around a campfire telling legends, an adult talking about spirit animals, and then some fun bloodshed. We fast forward to some friends deciding to spend New Years Eve camping and getting high, but whoops, they picked the cursed campground stalked by the psycho killer (I hate it when that happens).

I'm  a fan of the whole "80s horror shot on video" vibe. I like the trailer at the beginning of the movie for "Bathtub Shark Attack." It's clear that this movie was made by horror fans.. Love the "eat shit and live!" Sleepaway Camp reference FTW. I also like the music. It's actually kinda creepy and it definitely gives off an 80s music vibe. I even love how a lot of the dialogue sounds like it was put in the movie after the scenes  were shot, because that hearkens back to other cheapie horror flicks I remember like "A Night to Dismember" (nifty title, right?)

I like the characters too. I mean they're annoying, but they're still fun slasher victim type characters. I felt like I  was watching one of the Friday the 13th sequels (that's a compliment, by the way). I can definitely see myself in this movie. I would totally be wandering through  the woods drinking beer and trying to guide my way with a plastic toy compass. I think my friend Jason and I have actually done this before when we were drunk.

Other throwback stuff that caught my eye made the movie fun trying to pick out all the little hidden gems. Love the fake tarantula crawling across the old camp sign. The killer in a dog mask is actually kinda cool, and I like how he barks when he's wearing a dog mask, then moos when he's wearing a cow mask. I'm not going to tell you what he does when he'swearingthemonkey mask, but it'ssuper funny. I was cracking up sitting on my couch, and my cat kept rolling her eyes at me.

The main girl who's dealing with memories of her abusive boyfriend was a nice touch. I actually felt bad for her having nightmares, and I was rooting for her even when she did dumb shit like wandering around in the dark outside the cabin trying to figure out what made a weird noise. I say that because no matter how many horror movies I've seen, I'd probably do something dumb and get killed too (especially after I've had a few drinks...vodka makes stupid ideas sound much better). And once the cast has been whittled down and the killer is chasing his final victim through the woods, those scenes are surprisingly effective. Plus the scenes in the killer's lair are cool too (and really sticky and gross looking...I wonder how long that green goo takes to wash out of clothes?)

Let's be honest, this isn't the pinnacle of cinematic genius, but it's not supposed to be either, and the things that would probably annoy a lot of people are things that made me enjoy the movie (the talking angry tree was fucking awesome). The killer seeming to teleport and appear right behind people when they turn around reminded me of when I was 10 watching "Jason takes Manhattan" and I thought it was so cool that Jason could teleport like that. If you want to see someone getting hacked up with a pizza cutter, this is the movie for you! That actually looked kinda real. I hope all the actors are still alive! So yeah, not for everyone,  but you can probably tell whether this movie is for you or not. I had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment