Sunday, October 18, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #62: "Deep Blue Sea (1999)"

 





You know, I've never seen this movie before. It was one of those movies that was always on my list, but I kept getting distracted by shiny objects, so I never get around to watching it, and then years went by. There's two sequels now, and due to all my love for killer shark movies, borne of watching Jaws and Jaws II when I was a kid and vowing never to swim in the ocean after that, I think it's about time I finally give this movie a watch, don't you agree?

The same way "Scream" thought it should update the slasher movie for the new breed of viewers in the 90s and beyond,  I think "Deep Blue Sea" intended to update the killer shark movie. No more fake looking sharks, we have cool, new 90s sharks! This movie us about researchers at a remote facility harvesting the brain tissue of genetically modified sharks as a treatment for alzheimer's disease (seems like they could come up with a less dangerous treatment, but what do I know?) An investor goes to the facility to check out the results of the experiments,  and UNFORTUNATELY, one of the sharks goes berserk and starts chowing down on the researchers, and soon the sharks outnumber the humans, and the researchers have to figure out how to stop the sharks from escaping and breeding and filling the ocean with super-sharks.

Ok, no offense to the researchers in this movie, but whenever i feel stupid from now on in my life, I'll just think about these twits and I'll feel better. "Oh, let's genetically engineer a super shark and then act surprised when it turns on us." SERIOUSLY,  WTF?! I get that Alzheimer's is really sad, and we really need a cure, but I think we can come up with a safer research option than super intelligent sharks. Regular sharks can do enough damage on their own without help!

I didn't really like any of the characters in this movie (because: stupid) except for the donor guy played by Samuel L. Jackson, and people have spoiled this movie enough times over the years that I  knew what happens to pretty much everybody. It would have been nice to see this movie without knowing all that, but the first time the shark goes berserk is well-done enough that it still made my jaw drop even though I knew it was going to happen. What can I say, big sharks are scary, yo. I still jump whenever I watch Jaws and I've seen that movie 66423388 times.

Yes, I just compared this movie to Jaws, and you can all calm down. I don't know what Renny Harlin did to piss off everyone in the world, but people love to hate on him, and he directed this movie, so people bash this like they do all his other movies. Yes, his movies are flashy and they have more style than substance, but so what? Since when is it a crime to make movies look cool? I always like his movies, so I get tired of people hating on them all the time. Just watch something else and leave me and my shiny movies alone. Sheesh.

I'm not trying to say this movie is perfect. There's only really one character I  liked, and there's a lot of big explosive action more than plotting (but there *is* a plot) and the characters do a bunch of stupid stuff that makes me wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning,  let alone how most of them became scientists in the first place. Though the main scientist lady who spends most of the movie caring about researchmore than people does have some character developmentby the end, so good for her, I guess. I still liked the movie, is what I'm saying. I liked seeing the sharks chow down on people, rip their limbs off, chase them around in the water. Like I said, sharks are creepy.  So I enjoyed this movie, and it held up pretty well even though it's definitely a product of its time. Hey late 90s, I don't miss you. Sue me, I dug this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment