Wednesday, October 7, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #27: "Friday the 13th Part V: A Bew Beginning"

 


I've only watched this movie once before today. All the others I've seen at least twice,  but this one is rarer to find anywhere. I think there's a lot of backlash because the studio made this even after making such a big deal about the fourth movie being the "final chapter" and everything. It probably seems silly now, but I'm  sure it pisses off a lot if people. It makes sense that the studio would keep making the movies after they made so much money over the years, but it was probably a lot harder to see this movie as anything but a cash grab.

So this movie takes place long after the events of the last movie. Jason has been dead and his reign of terror has been over for years. There's a youth correctional camp called Pinehurst now on the grounds where Jason did all his killing. Tommy Jarvis, the little boy from the 4th movie, is a troubled teen now and he's just arrived at Pinehurst for treatment. He's understandably got many mental problems, and he's obviously still traumatized by everything he went through. When the horror seems to be starting over again, Tommy has to find a way to stop the killing once and for all (again).

You'd think everyone would be more understanding of why Tommy has so many issues. He went through a lot, and it can't be easy being so close to where all the killings happened. It seems he's acting pretty normal to me. He gets aggressive when one of the other teens at the camp picks on him, but that should be part for the course. Kids at those camps have to be fighting a lot, since you have to get in a lot of trouble to be sent there in the first place. They aren't really any more annoying than the characters in the other movies. I might even like them better. I like the little kid Reckless. He was a fun character.

Some of the characters are assholes though, especially the cranky woman and her son. I gotta say, I wasn't sorry to see her go. That's the way it is with movies like this though. I expect annoying characters. There has to be SOMEONE for the killer to Massacre or it will be a really short movie. Pam is actually a pretty nice character too, so at least I had a few people to root for. I like how the movie tried to have a plot at least, even bringing Corey Feldman in to play young Tommy in the beginning of the movie to connect this with the last movie. I get that this is obviously a cash grab type movie, and people were pissed off about the killer (I won't spoil the movie though) but it still seems like this movie gets an undue amount of hate when I really don't think it's that bad. It's better than part three in my opinion. Worth checking out if you're interested in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment