Monday, October 5, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #17: "Sisters of Death (1977)"

 




Fraternity and sorority initiations used to be no joke. Nowadays they're a lot more tame, but that's because laws had to be passed banning hazing after a bunch of people died over the years during initiations. This movie is a sleazy 70s slasher that I've been meaning to watch for years but kept putting off. I'm glad I finally get to see it this year.

This movie begins with a sorority initiation ritual that goes horribly wrong, leaving one girl dead. Seven years later, the surviving girls are invited to a celebration at a lavish estate, but after they arrive, they discover that someone wants to exact bloody revenge. Can they get away in time?

First of all, I want to be sympathetic to the victim, but what kind of idiot plays Russian roulette not realizing that they could die? If there's a bullet in a gun, there's a chance you're going to get your head blown off, and only an idiot would make people play such a potentially deadly game (and only a bigger idiot would agree). I don't get it. And further, if something horrible like this happens and then seven years later you're invited to a mysterious party, why in hell would you go?! Who would want to happily celebrate on the anniversary of someone's horrible death? It didn't occur to any of them that this invitation was weird as hell and they should run far away instead of going?

It really seems like only one of the girls is sorry at all about the girl's death. I don't care if it was ruled an accident,  I would still feel guilty,  since she would still be alive if we hadn't decided it was a good idea to put a gun to someone's head and pull the trigger. There's some gobbledygook in the plot about how one of the girls is a murderer because she slipped a live round into the gun, but I still think they're all responsible, even if someone hadn't switched out a live round in the gun, because no one would be dead if they hadn't pulled the idiotic stunt in the first place. Color me unsympathetic.

The movie is a typical 70s slasher, with victims getting picked off one by one, but it was still fun to watch since I like that kind of thing. There's not much gore, but it manages to be suspenseful enough, even though I didn't really like the characters,  so I didn't much care if they died. It's not a great film or anything, but it was a fun little movie. Plus the ending is pretty cool, so it has that going for it. I love me some mean spirited slashers.

No comments:

Post a Comment