Tuesday, October 27, 2020

2018 October Horror Challenge #88: "Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich"

 




This is another one of the endless Puppet Master sequels. This one is from 2018. I'm not sure if this movie is going to be good or terrible. You never know with horror sequels. This one is a Shudder exclusive, and it got mostly positive reviews on the site, so I'm  hoping it's at least a fun watch.

In this movie, Thomas Lennon plays Edgar, a recently divorced man who returns to his childhood home to stay with his parents until he can get back on his feet. Soon after arriving, he finds a mysterious puppet among his dead brother's belongings.  His hometown is holding a convention to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the infamous Toulon murders (the puppet murders from the original puppet master movies...dude, who holds a conventionto commemorate a bunch of grisly murders? Rude). His puppet bears a resemblance to to original murderous puppets, so he decides to sell the puppet at the convention to make some extra money, but soon a evil force reanimates this and the other puppets at the show, and the puppets go on a killing spree. 

There's some cool gore right near the beginning. I'm a sucker for a good severed head shot. The puppets are really cool looking, too (but if I found a puppet with a razor sharp hook hand, I wouldn't play around with it, especially if I were a grown adult and I knew about the original Toulon murders because they were real and they happened in my hometown).  Seriously,  look at this thing:


If any toy is going to come to life and kill you, it's this one.

There's actually an overabundance of gore in this movie. These puppets are MEAN. They burn people alive, slash their throats,  hack open their legs, eviscerated them. Bloody and disgusting, which is fun. The movie takes place in some alternate universe to the original movies, because in those movies Toulon was against the Nazis, but in this movie he is an evil Nazi himself. Screw continuity,  amirite? But it means we get evil Nazi puppets, so I  guess I can't complain. The acting is surprisingly not terrible in this movie, especially when  compared with other low-budget horror flicks, but some of the dialogue is hilarious. One of the cops actually utters the line "this incident is starting to turn into a happening." Thomas Pare plays the cop who actually says this line. It's hard to play the straight man in a ridiculous movie like this, but he pulls it off well and he's a lot of fun to watch. Abbot and Costello meet Columbo and the killer puppets.

Like I said before,  the gore is really over-the-top in this movie, but that not necessarily a bad thing. I suppose they knew this movie wasn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece, so they threw buckets of blood at us to make up for any flaws the movie might have. The puppets being Nazis and the killings all being hate crimes adds some nuance to the movie's plot. Plus the puppets have some new powers I don't think I've seen before. It's kinda cool seeing the old puppets I recognize from the original movies given a revamp and more powerful than I've ever seen them. The acting was better than I expected, there were actually some characters I liked, and there was lots of cool gore. This was a fun movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment