Saturday, October 3, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #11: "Mandy the Haunted Doll"

 



I have always been kinda creeped out by dolls. When I was a kid, my mom would give me these creepy looking porcelain dolls and they always had what looked like real hair, and little teeth, and I could swear I saw them move out of the corner of my eye. I had a Raggedy Ann doll too, and that thing had the little red mouth that always looked pissed to me, so that thing freaked me out too. With such experiences, I've always been fascinated with horror movies involving dolls, and I try to check out at least one every year during my horror challenge. This one got really bad reviews,  but that usually means I will like the movie, so we shall see.

In the beginning of the movie we see a young girl be trapped in a church by some bullies, locked in a room while she screamed for help as they ran away, and later we learn that she froze to death before anyone could find her. Then we meet our main character,  a young lady who takes a job at a strange woman's house "babysitting" for a kid she never sees while she's surrounded by creepy dolls. I wod have noped the fuck out of there, but she stays for one full shift then swears she will never go back. Later that night, a mysterious package appears on her doorstep and it contains a terrifying little doll which she takes inside because she's an idiot. Soon the doll is coming to life doing murderous things, you know, as expected. Then we flash forward and another young lady is accepting a babysitting job for the creepy lady, only she has plans to rob the house while the lady is gone. Unfortunately,  there's an evil, murderous doll in the house, as we know from earlier. Don't try to rob an evil doll's house. She'll get pissed and you'll get dead.

The special effects aren't great in this movie, but the doll looks scary as hell, so any scenes with her work pretty well for me. The doll's laugh is horrifying and I'm sure I'll be hearing it in my nightmares. The movie seems to realize it doesn't have a big enough budget, so it relies a lot on shadows and the fear of what we don't see, plus there are a few cool bits, like one scene with a baby monitor that works ok for a good skin-crawly freakout.

Once we near the end of the movie, things get more out in the open and the movie gets a little too over-explainy and ridiculous,  then it gets kind of cool again, then it teeters on the line between stupid and kinda cool. There's some gore, then the characters act like complete idiots and do really stupid shit instead of making a run for it (smooth move, dumbass). There is an interesting twist that wasn't totally expected near the end, so i appreciated that. Overall,  the movie isn't great or anything, but it was ok. I'm not mad I watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment