Wednesday, October 7, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #23: "Friday the 13th (1980)"

 




I miss the days of the old VHS versions of horror movie covers. You could walk through a video store and see half a hundred awesome movie covers that were sometimes better than the movie. I included some cool VHS cover art from one of the video releases of this movie so you could see it. I love the bloody axe in the pillow! This is one of those movies I've watched over and over and I enjoy it every time.

The movie (if you didn't know already) is about a horrible tragedy that happens at a summer camp, and then a year later some camp counselors are brutally murdered, so the camp is closed down (good call). Many years later, a new crew wants to open the old campground (bad call) and soon the new counselors are being brutally murdered. Can the rest of the crew stop the murderer before it's too late?

I have to say, I think it's in really poor taste to reopen a campground after so many people have been killed there. Who would want to send their kid to camp there? "Have fun at camp brutal murder, honey! I hope you don't get slaughtered!" This is one of those classic horror movies that you hear about so many times over the years that  it kinda becomes part of the background noise. When I first saw it, I was surprised how good it was, since I guess I didn't expect it to actually live up to any of the hype.

I wonder if the filmmakers had any idea back when they made this movie that it was going to become such a classic over the years? I know back when it was released, it was dismissed as trash. Even Stephen King made snotty,  dismissive comments about it in his book "Danse Macabre," which is an overview of the history of the horror genre that he wrote back in the 80s. I wonder of he still thinks this movie is garbage? For me, it was tense and creepy, with some great performances (especially from the killer, who still creeps me out even now!) 

It also has some classic horror themes. Bad deeds must be avenged, sinners won't go unpunished, a mother's love is so strong it even endures after death, love can turn obsessive. Stuff like that. It definitely makes the movie interesting to me, and there are some good scares, even a jump scare at the end that will always make me jump every single time I see it, even though I know it's coming and I've seen the movie eleventy bazillion times. For me, that makes this movie worth coming back to over and over again. I even subscribed to the AMC (American Movie Classics) channel so I could watch all the Friday the 13th movies for the challenge this year, since it's been awhile since I saw them. Sue me, I love them, even after all these years. Jason lives forever!



 



No comments:

Post a Comment