Thursday, October 8, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #30: "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan"

 






This movie should really be called "Jason takes a dinky cruise ship and then parts of Canada loosely disguised as New York." It would have been much more accurate. Not as much of a ring to it, though. So I saw this movie when I was like, 10 years old, and I thought it was the coolest movie ever. I wasn't supposed to be watching movies like this, but my mom was at work,  so my brother and I were watching something she'd never let us watch. At one point, Jason was chasing a victim and she looked behind her and he was gone, then she turned back around and he was in front of her and he killed her. I said "cool, Jason can teleport!" Then I tried to watch the movie again when I was in college,  and I discovered that it was NOT cool that Jason could teleport, because nothing in this movie was cool, because it was terrible. I watched it again a few years later and had the same reaction. I'm honestly only watching it now because I'm going through the series again and I feel obligated to watch this one too.

This movie is about a group of teenagers going on a cruise for their senior class trip in high school, but unfortunately Jason Voorhees escapes from the lake again, and he's on the boat with them, ready to pick them off one by one. Get a hobby, dude.

Like I said,  this movie really only takes place in New York for the finale. Up until the last like, 15 minutes, they're all on a boat, and a rinky-dink one at that. Guess the school couldn't afford a better boat for the cruise.  Cheapskates. Despite how I felt when I was 10, this movie is actually pretty boring. There is one ok scene where a girl peeks out of the bathroom,  sees Jason in her room, pops back into the bathroom, then looks AGAIN like he's just going to disappear. It doesn't work that way, sweetie. Jason dispatches her quickly at least. Really there's not much else of note that happens in the movie. One guy gets decapitated and we see a camera view from his severed head's point of view, which is fun, but not enough to recommend this movie. If you have to complete the series, I guess it's worth watching, but I wouldn't suggest it otherwise.  Maybe I'm just no fun in my old age, but pew. Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment