Saturday, October 3, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #12: "Phase IV"

 


 

Ok, so I first started watching this movie WAY BACK when I was 11 years old, and my mom was letting me and my brother watch horror novies (even though they were forbidden) because these were older movies and therefore were "classics" in her mind. I remember her saying she thought this movie would be too hard for me to understand,  so we stopped watching it after like 20 minutes, so all I remembered was the title and that  it was about killer ants. Not even cool giant ants, but regular sized ants that decide to band together and destroy the world. I've been curious to finally watch this movie for YEARS now, and I was so excited to finally get to see it this year for my horror challenge.  So did it live up to the hype?

This movie is about a strange event happening in outer space, some kind of convergence, and scientists are all arguing about what it might mean, meanwhile one scientist notices a huge shift in behavior in the ant population in the world, particularly a huge mass of any banding together in the desert to clear out the inhabitants of a small town, snd he convinces the government to give him funding to hire another scientist to travel to the desert town and figure out what is going on. It seems that ants are banding together, even species that normally fight each other, and they are killing cattle snd people until the humans flee. One family is left, and the scientists try to convince them to evacuate, meanwhile all hell breaks loose.

When I was in college, I had ants infest my dorm room and get into all my food and be all disgusting,  so I'm not a fan of ants, so this movie squicks me out. It's gross seeing the ants devour an animal, and one scene where ants crawl out if an open wound in one guy's body actually made me gag. GROSS. And the scientists are of course idiots, downplaying the threat until it's way too late.

I think that my mom was right and I was too young to appreciate this movie when I was 11. It's very esoteric,  and it takes forever to get going, and even once it is going it takes forever for the plot to advance. I appreciate the slow burn now, but I probably would have thought it was boring when I was a kid. Even though the movie is full of weird visual effects and loud noises meant to drive away ants but draw my migraine closer instead, I think this movie is pretty cool, and I'm glad I finally checked it out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment