Sunday, October 11, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #38: "Ice Cream Man (Rifftrax)"

 



For some reason,  this is always the movie I think of when I think of Clint Howard,  even though I've never seen this movie before. I think it's because the VHS cover art for this movie is so awesome,  and I used to see it in video stores over the years. Seriously,  check out that cover with the bloody ice cream cone, it's great! Clint Howard is known for being in lots of horror it's, and he's great at playing the weird, quirky killer/crazy guy. I decided to finally check this movie out this year, since I swear it's the only Clint Howard movie I HAVEN'T seen yet.

At the beginning of this movie, we see an ice cream man get gunned down by gangsters in a black and white sequence set in the 50s (I guess that was a scary time for ice cream men) and a kid sees this murder and is traumatized, so he grows up to be an ice cream man who not quite right in the head. Soon the ice cream man is hacking up kids and other victims, and only a few more observant kids realize the truth. Can they stop the ice cream man's reign of terror?

This is the perfect movie to get the Rifftrax treatment. It never takes itself too seriously,  so it lends itself well to the chorus of snarky, sarcastic commentary. Here are some of my favorite quips:

"This is like if 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' were a snuff film."

"Mmmm, strawberry flavored Stockholm syndrome,  my favorite!"

"This homemade peptol bishop both prevents AND causes diarrhea."

I had a ton of fun with this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment