Wednesday, October 7, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #24: "Friday the 13th Part II"

 


Here we go, continuing the Friday the 13th series with part 2. I have to be honest, the first time I saw this movie, I didn't like it much. I liked the first one so much, and it felt like this movie was just a remake of the first with more annoying characters and a twist at the end that I already knew was coming and didn't intrigue me like the first one had. They even spend the first ten minutes of the movie showing clips from the first movie, as if to remind us that we've heard this story before, and told better. Get an original idea,  jerks. Over the years, I've come to appreciate this movie more, though, and now I like it almost as much as I like the first. It has its good points.

So in this movie, geniuses get the idea to reopen Camp Crystal Lake AGAIN even though a zillion people die every time anyone tries to open that stupid camp. Isn't there some land somewhere else they could use that doesn't have a huge history of death and doom? So anyway, they try to open the camp despite getting a bunch of warnings,  and of course people start getting massacred again. Who is committing these murders, and can anyone survive this time around and put a stop to the bloodshed?

Ok, so it's not supposed to be exactly the same camp, but it's on the same lake way too close to the old camp, so I wouldn't take a job there anyway,  let alone send my kids there, good lord, get some common sense people. And a bunch of the new counselors don't even know the story of what happened at the old camp. How in hell do you avoid hearing about a ton of brutal murders like that? Even without the internet like we have today, you'd think news like that would spread.

The characters are still pretty unlikable to me. I mean the guy in charge of the camp is a rude jerk to pretty much everyone. He treats his girlfriend like crap and openly mocks her when she talks about the creepy legen surrounding the camp (yeah, people with common sense are such losers). He's even  snotty to the cop who catches his counselors trespassing on the old campground. Dude, it's against the law, he could arrest you or shut you down, stop being a tool. There's no reason to be an ass to everyone just  because you don't believe the "old legend" (um, didn't the lost recent murder spree happen a few years ago? That's hardly an ancient legend). The counselors are mostly annoying too, so I don't really care when they get killed. There are some really cool death scenes too. I love the spear through the bed kill (even if they did rip it off from "Bay of Blood"). 

I do like the main character, the "final girl" who has to try and fight the killer. Overall,  there are some good parts here. The opening sequence is pretty cool (when it's not just clips from the first movie) and the ending sequence is good too. I like how they used psychology to defeat the killer. I guess it pays to be the only smart person in the movie. This movie isn't as good as the original, but it's worth checking out if you like slashers.

No comments:

Post a Comment