Friday, October 23, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #76: "The Quiet Room (2018)"

 




I subscribed to "Shudder," a horror movie streaming service, for the challenge this year. They have some exclusive content I can't find anywhere else, so I've been enjoying checking out the movie selection, and this is one of the movies Shudder offers that you can't find on any other streaming service right now, and this is one of the exclusive movies I wanted to check out.

This movie is about a man named Michael, who winds up in a mental hospital after a failed suicide attempt. Michael is a writer (no wonder he attempted suicide...writers are intense people, yo) and he soon finds out that "the quiet room," an isolation room at the mental hospital, is haunted by a demon whom he has unwittingly awakened with his suicide attempt (whoops!) Michael has to figure out what to do after the demon, Hattie, focuses on him. Can he stop her before it's too late?

I like demonic haunting movies. When they're done right, they have the ability to really freak me out, and Hattie's whispers and taunting are super creepy in this movie. I like how Michael finds out about Hattie's hauntings through a whispered conversation one night  from his roommate. Demons often have power that's passed on when someone shares their story, so this is a nice touch. It reminds me of telling horror stories with my friends when I was a kid.

It's really sad when Hattie starts coming after people that Michael cares about and killing them. It's hard as hell to push past mental illness and make human connections like that, and seeing him make those connections only to have those people ripped from him is pretty devastating. Jamal Douglas does a good job portraying Michael and making us care about him. Hattie is really creepy looking too, so the scenes with her slowly forming out of the shadows work really well (especially with the wind moving the trees outside my window and making the shadows move right now). This movie ends up being really good, and I'm glad I checked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment