Saturday, October 3, 2020

2020 October Horror Challenge #13: "The Skull (1965)"

 



Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee just go together. Like peanut butter and jelly, only classy. And British. Back when I was a horror loving kid who wasn't allowed to watch horror movies unless my mom considered them classics, i lived on Hammer horror films like "Horror of Dracula," and Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing shaped my view of what horror should be. Terrifying,  but with a layer of distinguished elegance that still shone through the horror.  Now that I'm old and able to watch any horror movie I want,  i find myself still drawn to Hammer horror and Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, because they do it so well it's hard to beat.


This is a movie I have and as much about, and it tells the story if the skull of the infamous Marquis Desdemona, who was known for torturing his victims. Supposedly, after his death, the famous sadist had his skull stolen from his grave, and it drives whoever possesses it to madness and torture and death. Soon a classy scholar played by Peter Cushing is offered a chance to buy the skull for his collection. His wife and his friend (played by Christopher Lee) try to warn him of the dangers of possessing this skull, but like most horror movie characters,  he doesn't listen. Soon violence and death ensue. Typical. 

This movie isn't as great as some of the Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee movies, but it still has that air of elegance and creepiness that kept my attention throughout the movie. It's not perfect, but it's a cool, spooky watch, and im glad I finally checked it out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment