Monday, October 2, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #9: "Ataud Blanco"




This is a little film from Argentina about a mother and daughter going on a long car trip when the little girl is abducted and the mother must try to save her before it's too late. The movie got a lot of bad reviews, but it sounded promising, and we all know that I love horror movies, even when they're bad.

I also love kids a lot, which makes me extra invested in any movie where someone is trying to save a kid from danger. In this movie, it's clear that the mother and daughter already have gloom and tragedy hanging over their heads, which makes the horrible things that happen seem even more cruel. And while the mom seemingly ignored warning signs of danger, I can excuse it, because she had a lot on her mind and taking care of kids is no easy task, especially when you're flying solo. The acting here is pretty good too, which helps me stay engaged in the story, and at it's running time of less than an hour and a half, it doesn't have much chance to drag and get on my nerves, which is nice.

Maybe it's just me, because I've watched the show "Without a Trace" too many times or something, but I swear I'd never let my kid out of my sight like this. There's just too many chances for a kid to disappear like this. But then, it's easy to say that now, and I know what little ninjas kids can be and how it only takes a second for them to run off. I don't know, I just can't imagine myself in the situation this mother finds herself in (even before it gets extra spooky weird, which does happen as it goes along...from one nightmare situation to another. This lady can't catch a break). I think a lot of the bad attitudes toward this movie are because of the sharp right turn it takes into weirdoville without much warning, but that's what makes it a horror movie for me, and not just a thriller. It's kidnapping meets "Carnival of Souls" strung out on meth with weirdly supernatural overtones, but it didn't really phase me, because my life has been so weird that it didn't seem as out of place to me.

Come to think of it, maybe I don't want to imagine myself in these situations (any of them!) because it's just too terrifyingly familiar nightmare fuel, which is just how my brain works, I guess. Either way, the movie kept my interest, the detours down the rabbit hole didn't turn me off too much, and I'm glad I checked it out, in spite of what the other reviewers might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment