Wednesday, October 4, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #15: "The Void"



Well, 15 movies into the challenge and I'm finally watching a "good" movie! I mean, I thought most of the movies I've seen so far have been good, but this is the first movie I've watched this year that actually got good reviews and was mostly liked by other horror fans. Part of me is pretty sure that I'm not going to like this movie because of that (just my luck, you know) but I was still excited to watch it, because I've heard so many good things.

So if you've been living under a rock and haven't heard anything about this movie yet, it's about a group of people (including a nurse and a cop and a pregnant lady) holed up at a small town hospital while something horrible is happening around them. Something is getting into peoples' heads and making them do horrible things, and no one seems to understand why. You can probably find a more detailed description of the plot elsewhere, but I'm one of those people who enjoys NOT fucking ruining the entire plot of the movie for people who haven't seen it yet. Sorry. I just get annoyed when plot descriptions feel the need to spoil every damn plot point, and I've started avoiding movie trailers and reviews because apparently I'm the only person who feels this way. It grates on my last nerve, lemme tell you.

So I'm happy to repost that even though it is both popular and critically acclaimed, I did indeed enjoy this movie. It's pretty great, actually. It's gory and nasty and well-acted, with a sense of creeping dread that I just love. I like movies where weird-ass evil crap is happening and a group of people have to band together to fight it.

Well, kinda. They don't really band together so much as tolerate each other to some extent. They'd probably throw each other under the bus fairly quickly if given a chance. That kinda makes me like this movie a bit more (or at least relate to it more). People kinda suck, yo. And once things begin to deteriorate even more, it becomes clear that you really shouldn't trust anyone, even good friends, even well respected people that you think you know. Everyone has secrets. Even in Canada, where this movie was made (I thought Canadians were supposed to be really nice, eh? Remind me never to go to the hospital in Canada, even if they do have universal healthcare. It might cost me my soul).

So, to recap: this movie is gory and nasty and creepy, don't ever trust anyone for any reason, ever, and stay the hell away from Canada. Oh, and watch this movie, if you get a chance. It's a throwback to the days when horror was icky and nasty and mean-spirited. I liked it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment