Monday, October 9, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #33: "Bite (2016)"



I'm getting really impatient with bad movies at this point. After so many bad movies in a row, I really need a good one to perk up my spirits. This seems like a strong contender. Bugs freak me out in general, and this movie in particular has a good reputation. Apparently, people walked out of the screenings getting sick because it was so disgusting. Being the strange person that I am, that actually attracts me to this movie, so I'm hopeful that this will break my streak of awful movies.

This movie is about a woman and her girlfriends on vacation for her bachelorette party, facing family drama and cold feet and other issues, when the bride-to-be gets bitten by a mysterious insect. Returning home, she starts to suffer from strange symptoms that get progressively more icky as time goes on. Just what exactly bit her while she was on vacation, and can she save herself before it's too late?

Like I said before, bugs wig me out, so that alone is reason enough for this movie to freak me out. Plus it's really gross, with plenty of shots of an infected bug bite leaking pus and a woman vomiting nasty yellow and orange pus, which is disgusting (and things get even worse after that, so I can see why this movie would gross people out). Plus there's lots of human drama. Our lead character isn't sure if she's ready to be married, and she and her fiance seem to want different things, plus his mother is really religious and controlling, and she owns the building where our character lives, so there's no getting away from her. I really wanted to see her get killed at some point.

As the story unfolds, things get more complicated, and the special effects get even more disgusting. I've seen a lot of horror movies, but this was enough to make me cringe. I guess I can see why some people walked out if this movie and got sick. David Cronenberg's remake of "The Fly" was pretty nasty, and I think this one might even be worse than that. Definitely impressive, especially for a low-budget movie like this. Overall, this movie was icky and unnerving, the characters were pretty well developed and they helped draw me into the story, and the plot was enough to make me never want to go on vacation again (or at least take a bath in Off bug spray if I do). Hallelujah! My streak of bad movies is broken!

No comments:

Post a Comment